POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : transparent blob bug : transparent blob bug Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:52:54 EDT (-0400)
  transparent blob bug
From: David Burnett
Date: 4 Jan 2010 14:03:14
Message: <4b423b72@news.povray.org>
I appear to have hit a transparent blob bug.

I initially though the bug was related to task 53, which it is noted is
fixed in the latest beta but the scene I trying to render will still not
render a specific part of the scene given reasonable time, i.e. 18 hours
just for one specific square (bucket?), when in MacMegaPov 1.2.1 the
whole scene renders in 8 hours. Using non transparent spheres in the
blob it renders in seconds in either version.

The scene is rather large, well for me, with over 5000 spheres
contributing to the blob so I know its not ideal for debugging other
than the 'start it off in, a debugger and wait a day and see where its
at and them start debugging' style.

I'm currently rendering it again, in order to locate the spot it stops
again and seeing if a partial render of that area with allow for a
quicker run to the point it stops.

The system specs are...
2.0Ghz CoreDuo 2Gb iMac, running OSX 10.6.2

The version of POV-ray I'm running is the Yvo's 3.7.0.beta.35 Universal
build for Mac OS 10.5 or later.

Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.7.0.beta.35
Compiler: gcc 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646) (dot 1)
This is an unofficial version compiled by:

The scene can be downloaded from
http://planetgenesis.sf.net/blob_bug.zip and is 133kb

The ini file saved from the beta is....

Antialias_Depth=3
Antialias=On
Antialias_Threshold=0.3
Bits_Per_Color=8
Bounding=On
Bounding_Threshold=10
Continue_Trace=On
Create_Ini="/Users/vargol/Source/Releases/StructureSynth-v1.0.0/output.ini"
Display=On
End_Column=1000
End_Row=1000
Height=1000
Input_File_Name="/Users/vargol/Source/Releases/StructureSynth-v1.0.0/output.pov"
Jitter_Amount=1
Jitter=On
Library_Path="/Users/vargol/Source/Releases/StructureSynth-v1.0.0/"
Library_Path="/Users/vargol/Apps/POV-Ray 3.6/include/"
Output_Alpha=On
Output_File_Name="/Users/vargol/Source/Releases/StructureSynth-v1.0.0/output.png"
Output_File_Type=n
Output_To_File=On
Quality=9
Remove_Bounds=On