POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : f_mandelbulb.010.zip : Mandelquat Mapping (WAS: Happy 2,0,1,0 Quaternion-power 'Bulb!) Server Time
4 May 2024 21:12:54 EDT (-0400)
  Mandelquat Mapping (WAS: Happy 2,0,1,0 Quaternion-power 'Bulb!)
From: waggy
Date: 3 Jan 2010 23:40:45
Message: <4b41714d$1@news.povray.org>
waggy babbled on:
> For pure real power mandelbulbs, I'm still only getting the expected
> results for power two, and still don't know why.

Bonzini updated his paper today, and my pure real power results are
consistent with his.  The formulas needed to reproduce arbitrary real
higher-power mandelbulbs using quaternions are quite different than
originally described (except for power two, after trig reduction), and
seem to involve even more trig functions than the classic formulation.

http://github.com/bonzini/mbulb/raw/master/mbulb.pdf

There still may or may not be errors in how my code handles the
imaginary part of quaternion powers.  I think I need to take a step back
and figure out what it's supposed to do rather than continue to muck
about with variations.

If there's interest, I'll post what I have so far.  Otherwise, I'll hang
onto it until I can describe what it does.

~David