POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Postprocessing camera (d)effects with POV-Ray : Re: Postprocessing camera (d)effects with POV-Ray - Bokeh Server Time
16 Jun 2024 03:32:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Postprocessing camera (d)effects with POV-Ray - Bokeh
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 2 Jan 2010 16:55:39
Message: <4b3fc0db$1@news.povray.org>

> Looking really good!

   Thanks! But it has some limitations...

> I had some code that could take an iris image in my 35mm Camera Macros -
> you rendered the scene multiple times with a slightly different camera
> shear matrix each time, and when you averaged the images together you got
> focal blur with shaped bokeh. Are you doing something vaguely similar?

   No, not at all: my approach is not that clever... it's more like brute force.

   I'm simply tracing the image at random, evaluating the pigment at the
point, and placing an object textured with a spherical pattern. The size of
the object is controlled by the "focus map", and the transparency is
controlled by the intensity on the image.

   The problem is that these objects overlap the zone "in focus" too... so it
needs an additional pass mixing the original image and the "bokehd" image,
using the "focus map" again as guide (which is easy using a texture_map with
a pigment_pattern).

   BTW, the method works mostly with HDR input images...

   For the bloom effect I'm using something similar, but without the "focus
map". For the other camera (d)effects I'm using different methods: some are
just a texture over the camera.

> I can't wait to find out, and to give your code a spin!

   Sure it will benefit from it! ...just let me finish the film grain effect
and clean a bit the code, please.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org