POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : World size limits? : Re: World size limits? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World size limits?
From: David Given
Date: 2 Jan 2010 09:34:41
Message: <4b3f5981$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/01/10 13:02, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> On 02.01.10 12:57, David Given wrote:
>> I'm trying to model an astronomical situation, with everything to scale.
>> As this is vaguely scientific, I'm trying to use standard units
>> throughout, which means that some of my coordinates are rather large.
>
> <http://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:Language_Questions_and_Tips#Topic_24>

Thanks, but I'm not sure whether this is actually the problem --- I've
tried scaling my entirely model down by a factor of 1000 (so that I'm
now working with kilometres rather than metres) and everything behaves
much better. This suggests that it's related to absolute magnitude
rather than precision (because that hasn't changed).

In addition, if I carefully ease an object over the edge of the boundary
I can see it getting clipped. I wouldn't expect precision errors to
behave with, well, such precision!

Can Povray be built to use long doubles instead of doubles?

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────