POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Should private schools be banned? : Re: Should private schools be banned? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should private schools be banned?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Dec 2009 19:33:02
Message: <4b3d42be$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> The private schools, especially on the HS level, are able to
> be exclusive both in the sphere of money, and in the sphere of academic
> ability. What is not so clear to me is to what extent racial exclusion
> is masked by these criteria.  Common cynicism would lead me to expect
> that it is to a great extent but I just do not know.  But I am quite
> sure that ideology is off the table.  The other point I want to stress
> again is that it is not only money.  Students for elite private schools
> must compete in standardized aptitude tests, just as they do to get into
> elite public schools.

Yeah. That is definitely *helping* the wackos to undermine it too. Just
read something on a school planning to help the "underprivileged" with
more remedial course, in high school, by... canceling **labs** and
letting go the teachers for those classes. Yep, that'il fix it. Now
everyone at the school can impress management by being able to count
change, instead of only some of them, when they all get those high tech
jobs working in the "burger lab" at McDonald's. Nothing like "improving"
education by sacrificing the top students, while elevating the worst,
for what ever reason they are the worst, to the same level of mediocrity
and failure. But, heh.. No problem. Its my understanding that more and
more colleges are responding to this by teaching "remedial" classes too.
Who needs 4 years of college for people that actually *arrive* knowing
what they need to start, and pay professors to teach complex subjects,
if you can give former high school teachers, who can't get decent pay,
to teach remedial work the first 2 years of college, then charge the
students for 5-6 more, from the few actual professors you still have
working there? Isn't 8 years about right, if you want to become a
computer programmer (which currently takes 3-4, to get a BA in it)? And,
if it takes 8 more, for the same stupid reason, to get a doctorate..
Heck, they can just pay for it on credit cards and loans, from the
people that brought us the housing collapse, right?

Sigh.. We need to fix things *before* private schools, never mind high
schools and/or colleges get involved, and that means fixing it starting
at pre-school. When I was going, someone brought their kid in with a
diaper bag, a bottle, and a passifier, and got told, "Bring him back
when he is *ready*." Some place, some where, there is some bozo
pre-school with 2 nannies, whose job is to change diapers, because a
bunch of clueless idiots got a few judges to say, "You need to provide
them with a way to have their kids in school, even if the parents are
idiots.", and they are using those plastic "self stick" sticker, for
"art", instead of crayons, because the stickers are *cheaper*, and they
can't afford to have both nannies and crayons.

Sometimes I despair at the US' ability to survive another 50 years,
never mind 100, or 200, given that we *actually* seem to think that the
opinion of some slouch that spend 80% of their time on a couch watching
Oprah or Nascar (or both), is more important than *funding* schools,
fixing what doesn't work in them for real, instead of just testing the
bad ones, and chopping funding, and **keeping the morons fingers out of
the soup**, while doing so. The same people that *want* us to drag
people out of a line at the airport, and strip search them, to make sure
they are not *insane* or *stupid* enough to be trying to blow up a
plane, think that its irrelevant if someone is insane and/or stupid,
when telling the school, "I don't want Ezekial to have to learn that
Evilution stuff!", or imagine that the way to gauge how good a school
is, should be base not on how many of the kids move on to something
better later, but a) how many Football stars it produces, and b) how
many of the kids got them a proper education on farm animals, or
roofing, or sewage treatment, so they chose the *family* profession,
over something high falootin and useless, like physics. And, for now at
least, with the exceptions of "big cities", which are too "librul", most
of the country seems to be trying to cater to making things dumber and
dumberer.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {