POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : AMD killing Cuda? : Re: AMD killing Cuda? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AMD killing Cuda?
From: Warp
Date: 31 Dec 2009 19:20:16
Message: <4b3d3fc0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> No, actually, what they are doing has the "disadvantage", that if you
> need a GPU upgrade, it means a CPU upgrade, since they are the same.

  My guess is that if you need a GPU upgrade, what you do is to buy a new
regular GPU card and install it. Similarly to what you would do to a PC
with an integrated GPU.

  I suppose that if the architecture is designed cleverly enough, a program
could benefit from both the CPU/GPU hybrid (for CPU-bound tasks) *and* the
faster separate GPU card (for the actual rendering) at the same time.

--
                                                          - Warp