POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Should private schools be banned? : Re: Should private schools be banned? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should private schools be banned?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 31 Dec 2009 13:20:23
Message: <4b3ceb67@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> gregjohn wrote:
>> Not everything immoral needs to be illegal, and the difficulty in making
>> something illegal is no indication of its morality.  That is where I
>> think
>> you're headed on the wrong track with this.
>>
>> Of course, "posh" parents putting their kids into private schools is
>> indeed a
>> direct cause of public schools deteriorating.  It's not a matter of
>> jealousy but
>> of direct consequences, negative externalities if you will.
>>
>> In my county, there's two school districts side by side. The kids from
>> one high
>> school earn all kinds of accolades, the other one has a 46% dropout rate.
>> Whenever I meet a decent, involved family who happens to move into the
>> bad
>> district, sho 'nuff they send their kids to the private school.
>>
> Sadly, in the US, schools are part of the culture war going on. There
> are people on boards, like the one in Texas, that **admit** to having
> gotten elected so they can destroy the public system. The only
> "standards" are set by the same state boards, who are often unqualified,
> and make choices about what and how things are taught that have
> *nothing* to do with what works. This is in contract to private schools,
> which take on of two tacks - The ones that care at all have the teachers
> work out what needs to be taught, and hire from a pool that is *noted*
> for doing well. The ones that are ideology driven use the old school
> "Rote" learning system, which sidesteps the need to understand the
> ideas, by satisfying the only thing that can be easily tested, "Whether
> or not the can give the right answers, whether they understand why they
> are right or not, even even, sometimes *if* they are right or not (in
> the case of those things that fall into the 'stuff we want them to take
> as truth' category)."
>
> There is a strong rise in the US of institutions like Liberty
> University, and "home schooling", the former of which will let you turn
> in dissertations on biology, which contain nothing but whining about
> god, gods creation, and the vast global conspiracy of Darwinists. The
> later.. You can buy specialized "pro-creationist" texts for, which
> teach, "How to answer the questions the way other schools and the
> government want you to, without corrupting yourself with belief in those
> things." Its the #1 best selling "home schooler" kit in the country,
> last I heard. Which should tell you, right off, who is doing 90% of the
> home schooling in the US. Their reason for it? Most of them buy the kits
> because they are a) not close enough to, b) can't afford, or c) don't
> trust the *type* of private school closest to them (FSM forbid a
> Protestant land in a Catholic school, and actually have to learn
> something, for example), to teach the *truth (tm)*.
>
> Their torpedoing the public schools via *intentional* sabotage, neglect,
> [...]
Wow.
I'd forgotten about this side of the question.  Good points you make!
And an interesting case demonstrating regional differences approaching
this question.

Here in New York, where a huge public school system coexists with an
extensive network of private schools, it is much, much more about class,
ability, and race, and hardly at all about ideology affecting curriculum.

The private schools, especially on the HS level, are able to
be exclusive both in the sphere of money, and in the sphere of academic
ability. What is not so clear to me is to what extent racial exclusion
is masked by these criteria.  Common cynicism would lead me to expect
that it is to a great extent but I just do not know.  But I am quite
sure that ideology is off the table.  The other point I want to stress
again is that it is not only money.  Students for elite private schools
must compete in standardized aptitude tests, just as they do to get into
elite public schools.