POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Should private schools be banned? : Re: Should private schools be banned? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should private schools be banned?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 31 Dec 2009 12:39:56
Message: <4b3ce1ec$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aoldotcom> wrote:
>>>   It still sounds to me like "rich people shouldn't get privileges just
>>> because they have more money, that's unfair". The word jealousy comes to
>>> mind.
>>>

>> It probably does to you.
>
>   Me having that opinion would be really obnoxious if I were a rich snob,
> but I'm certainly not. I barely make a living.
>
>   But I honestly don't feel any kind of jealousy towards rich people. If they
> want to put their kids to expensive private schools, then why not? Does it
> hurt me in any way if they do that? No. Then why should it bother me? It
> doesn't make sense.
>
>   What *would* be unfair is to pass some ridiculous law which would forbid
> them from doing that and instead force those kids to get a lesser education,
> just because the majority is jealous of them being rich. *That* would be
> obnoxious, IMO.

As long as they pay their property taxes thus paying back for their own
education, theoretically, it is usually accepted as a fair compromise.
It is when generations of private school induces the idea that they
should not have to contribute to the public school system that it gets
worrisome.  People without children are quick to join the bandwagon
oblivious to the fact that they are not paying for someone else's kid's
education, they are paying back for their own.

Of course the other source of money being lost is through parent
association fund raising, but that is inherently unfair anyway.  Even
with public schools there is going to be rich schools and poor schools.