POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FOSS annoyances : Re: FOSS annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FOSS annoyances
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 31 Dec 2009 06:21:25
Message: <4b3c8935$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Somehow, I always find it amusing how many FOSS programs assume Windows
> is basically how it was in Win98 and completely fail to do the right thing.

...which does, on the other hand, have the side-effect of making it
compatible with Win98. ;-)

> which in other words means "we haven't bothered to find the API call
> that tells you where a particular user's home directory is in Windows,

Or, more likely, "we just took our C sources and recompiled them on top
of a POSIX emulator, so we can't do anything that POSIX doesn't support
/ the emulator doesn't implement".

> And some people wonder why FOSS feels klunky on Windows.

Heh, well, the *really* fun thing is when you have to install GTK+
before the program will run... We all know what happens then. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/