POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FOSS annoyances : Re: FOSS annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FOSS annoyances
From: TC
Date: 30 Dec 2009 18:57:19
Message: <4b3be8df$1@news.povray.org>
> They should at least stop putting misinformation in the documentation like
> "you can't delete open files in Windows" or "Windows doesn't have links".
> That's just plain wrong. The minimum would be to phrase it as "we don't
> open files in a mode that allows them to be deleted while open" and "we
> don't

Darren, how do you delete an OS-locked file or directory under Windows XP?
Can you point me to an api-call?

This is NOT meant as a tease, I am really interested in a solution to this
problem, if you know it.

About the links: yes, windows does indeed support links. I do not dare to
use them anymore. I tried once, but since people don't expect hard links
under Windows to some it came as a nasty surprise when they discovered the
doublettes they thought they were deleting were the actually hard linked
files...