POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lanugage suggestions? : Re: Lanugage suggestions? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lanugage suggestions?
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Dec 2009 18:21:10
Message: <4b3be066@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Actually, I just need an app to be run by the server, at the request of certain
> web pages.  The output could then be retrieved by other web pages.

So you're going to need to spawn a new process to handle things anyway, or
your web browser will time out. Hence, you can use any language you want to
do the computations, and use PHP to spawn it trivially.

> It's not that HTML itself is a problem; it's that the app I need to write would
> do some rather heavy duty processing which I am more experienced with writing in
> C based languages.

OK. If your "heavy duty processing" takes more than a minute or so, you need
to write a CGI page that will start it, and another that will let you know
if it's done and return the results, and you'll have to coordinate it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)