POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : AMD killing Cuda? : Re: AMD killing Cuda? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AMD killing Cuda?
From: Warp
Date: 29 Dec 2009 12:58:19
Message: <4b3a433b@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> AMD bought ATI and ATI cards are not innovating anymore.  They realize since
> they can't compete with NVidia, better to just try to crap all over their plans
> for worldwide domination.

  I find your opinion a bit contradictory.

  The idea of integrating what are currently two completely separate
microprocessors (separated by a relatively slow bus) into one single
microchip in such way that even existing programs which do not explicitly
take advantage of the current design could take advantage of the new
design, sound rather innovative to me.

  The problem with CUDA is that programs need to support it explicitly,
and it is, and always will be limited. If the new AMD design allows
currently existing executables to be run on a CPU/GPU-like hybrid and
get a considerable speed boost from that, I call that innovative and
desirable. Even POV-Ray could someday benefit from that, without having
to do anything special about it.

--
                                                          - Warp