POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : AMD killing Cuda? : AMD killing Cuda? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  AMD killing Cuda?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 Dec 2009 02:43:34
Message: <4b39b326$1@news.povray.org>
Got to wonder. See, the current system, and Intel's newest design, which
is more of the same, is:

CPU = Core (IPU + FPU), multiple cores.
GPU = separate component.

AMD is looking at making it:

CPU = IPU (Integer processor, which does the stuff that most processors,
prior to adding in-built FPUs did. I.e., execute code, but *not* do any
math.). Multiple IPUs. FPU - <none>. GPU - Integrated into CPU, and
replacing all functions of the FPU in the process.

They figure that this, even without changing die sizes, will garner an
80% increase in speed, since all FPU functions get dumped, not to a
separate FPU for each core, but to how ever many of the 128+ "pipes" in
the GPU. Since Cuda is supposed to be a way to "program" a GPU... What
happens if you don't need to do that any more, but can just drop your
"code" into an IPU, and have it use the GPU pipes to do its math? Seems
to me it makes "programming" the GPU at all kind of redundant. :p

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();