POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets : Re: Switzerland & minarets Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Switzerland & minarets
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Dec 2009 19:12:34
Message: <4b394972$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> I thought the idea that there would actually be enough votes to modify
>> the CA constitution to treat gays as sub-human would never have passed
>> either.
>
>     If you want to have a reasonable conversation, it helps if you don't
> editorialize by using words like "subhuman", because I'll be happy to
> counter-obfuscate.

BTW, they're treated as "subhuman" because the majority actually passed laws
to remove from them the right to marry who they wished, which they already
had. I'd say passing a law to allow enslaving a particular group of people
would be treating them as "subhuman" also. They aren't human enough to get
the same rights to marriage as the other humans get.

As for muslims and democracy, I think I was using "democracy" to include
basic human rights. Of course you can have a democracy in which the majority
vote to stone apostates, outlaw freedom of speech, burn suspected witches,
castrate homosexuals, presume non-Muslims are unable to tell the truth in
court, kill female relatives who go out in public without an escort, etc.
Hence it's perfectly reasonable that a majority of people who want Sharia
also want democracy. They just don't want the usual human rights that go
with democracy in most democratic countries. I'm not sure what the right
word for the group of behaviors would be.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)