POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this just a recente phenomenon? : Re: Is this just a recente phenomenon? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is this just a recente phenomenon?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 23 Dec 2009 22:19:06
Message: <4b32ddaa$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   At least with the two (or maybe three) last presidents of the Unite States,
> it seems that approximately half of the US citizens adore him and the other
> half hates his guts, while the rest of the world practically unanimously does
> either one.
>
>   Has this always been so in the US, or is it a modern phenomenon? Just
> curious (as I don't know too much about US's history).

Can't answer the question, but one observation I have in relation to it.
(Remember I am a Canadian living in the States for 25 years or so.)
What is particularly noticeable to me is how Americans treat presidents
in a very immediate and personal way.  They react to the man not the
office and react to the personality.  This is probably been intensified
with mass media culture, but I expect that it has always been a
component of their politics.