POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this just a recente phenomenon? : Re: Is this just a recente phenomenon? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is this just a recente phenomenon?
From: Captain Jack
Date: 23 Dec 2009 10:54:41
Message: <4b323d41$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b323553@news.povray.org...
>  At least with the two (or maybe three) last presidents of the Unite
> States,
> it seems that approximately half of the US citizens adore him and the
> other
> half hates his guts, while the rest of the world practically unanimously
> does
> either one.
>
>  Has this always been so in the US, or is it a modern phenomenon? Just
> curious (as I don't know too much about US's history).
>
> --
>                                                          - Warp

Or, is this (like so many things in life) a vast oversimplification of a
really complex issue?

I've seen studies that seemed reliable to me that say that about ten percent
of the population of the U.S. tends to be really vocal about a political
candidate or office holder "for", and another ten percent "against". These
are the people you hear about. The other 80% of the population are too
concerned with their own particular issues and problems to care about one
politicians. They often believe what they're told to believe, sadly.

Some of the idea that it's split down the middle comes from the adverserial
nature of the U.S. political system, and the vociferously defended "free
speech" concept. For every fanboy, a naysayer will pop up, because almost no
one is afraid to speak out. The natural tendency of the human animal to pop
off with a "Oh yeah?" or a "Sez you!" comes into play here, I think.

I really think most people don't care. They want to have an income, they
want to be healthy, and they want to feel safe. Some people blame, and some
credit, politicians, 'tis true, but that's kinda what they're there for. :-D

--
Jack