POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow! : Re: Wow! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow!
From: Chambers
Date: 23 Dec 2009 01:56:45
Message: <4b31bf2d$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> All this work on CGI is being wasted. Cannot someone, anyone, come up with a
> decent, semi-original, somewhat plausible sci-fi movie idea anymore?

We're in the dark age of CGI right now.

As has been said recently in other threads, effects used to be *hard* to
do.  As such, they required a very serious commitment from all
involved... a commitment that would NOT be wasted on sub-par talent.  As
a result, only the biggest names got to be in the big FX movies, and
even those used the FX to support everything else in the movie (story,
characters, pacing, etc).

Nowadays, anyone can put anything on the screen... so they do.  Give it
another 10 years, when audiences have gotten tired of the "wow" factor
and have been completely disillusioned about big FX movies*, and we'll
start to climb out of the cesspool we're currently in.

*When was the last time you were impressed by the FX in a movie?  There
were a few shots in 2012 that wowed me, but other than that...  Mostly,
it seems like I'll see something on the screen, yawn, and go "Yay, more
CGI."

Unfortunately, movies like Avatar still stand out enough from the crowd
that they can wow audiences despite being rubbish.  I predict that
Avatar will be to Cameron's career what the prequel trilogy was to
Lucas'... he was given complete freedom, spent years pursuing his vision
of perfection, and  ended up turning out a golden turd.

No matter how shiny it is, no matter how much you polish it, it's still
just a turd.

...Chambers