POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:33:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Stephen
Date: 21 Dec 2009 08:23:21
Message: <4b2f76c9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aoldotcom> wrote:
>> You obviously don?t know what dyslexia is like maybe the old fashion
>> phrase word blindness is more descriptive.
>
>   I thought that dyslexia is a disorder which manifests as a difficulty
> in reading.

That is true but, speaking only for myself, it also shows up when writing.

> While this may increase the time which one nees to learn to
> write properly, I don't see it described as an absolute impediment which
> completely stops the sufferer from learning to write words correctly.

Again in my case, I have difficulty in remembering how to spell words.

could not remember the spelling. Most irritating. (Strangely it seems
that my spelling is better when I type as my typing fingers are
connected differently to my brain than my writing fingers, if that makes
any sense?)

> (Basically, if the dyslexic person has difficulties in reading a world
> properly and associating letters with sounds, he might learn to write the
> word improperly as well, but I don't see anything in the description of
> dyslexia which would stop him from being able to correct his mistake and
> learn the correct spelling, especially when specifically pointe out.)

That is because you are normal(ish) ;)

>   I'm certainly not saying that Andrew is one of them, but I feel that many
> people use things like dyslexia as a convenient excuse for laziness to
> learn how to write properly.

Yes I agree with you. Many people say that they are dyslexic when they
have not learned to read or write properly.

>   Is it medically impossible for a dyslexic person to learn to write a
> word like "sequel" correctly? Or is it a question of learning?

I suppose it depends on which medic you speak to :)

>   As I said, one word at a time, if nothing else helps.
>
>   (Naturally this requires willingness to learn and to better oneself.)

A couple of other things. Every week I was beaten at school with a
leather belt for my bad spelling. You would think that that would be an
encouragement to learn to spell correctly. I also have difficulty in
remembering how to pronounce certain words. If you said one of then to
me I would be able to use it for a couple of hours then forget how it

myself.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen