POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov animation on YouTube and Cmpeg: : Re: Pov animation on YouTube and Cmpeg: Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov animation on YouTube and Cmpeg:
From: Warp
Date: 20 Dec 2009 20:09:25
Message: <4b2ecac5@news.povray.org>
Steve <ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in news:4b2d6ae5@news.povray.org:

> > Steve <ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet> wrote:
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEbyQLcMtdc
> >
> >   Would you care for some constructive criticism?
> >

> Yes any constructive criticism is welcome.

  Ok.

  You don't need to literally point out text appearing on screen. If you
simply mention briefly something (such as POV-Ray), just showing the URL
as text on the video is enough to make it obvious where more info about
the program can be found. Literally pointing it with your hand out is a
bit cringeworthy, especially when done repeatedly many times.

  The whole introduction speech could have been a bit shorter, and you
could have cut right after the last sentence.

  Most POV-Ray animations I have seen in YouTube do not pay almost any
attention whatsoever to texturing and lighting quality. This has the
negative effect of making POV-Ray look like a very primitive rendering
program, like it was 15 years ago. It would be really nice if people
making such animations would put a lit more work on the textures and
lighting.

  Your animation might be just a quick test render, but your lengthy speech
at the beginning gives the impression that this will be the main end
product, and that you spent the majority of your time doing this, which
is then watered down by the archaic texturing and lighting (which is
especially disappointing after saying how great of a program POV-Ray is).

  If you want some texturing and lighting tips, this might give you some
ideas: http://warp.povusers.org/povtips/ (although I didn't write that
specifically with building models in mind).

  You could have used splines to move the camera, making the movement
smoother and more natural.

  The path of the camera along a spline can be easily visualized in a
test render by drawing small spheres along the spline and connecting them
with cylinders. This way you can see the whole path of the camera in one
go, and do finetuning adjustments to the control points as necessary.
(Also the distance between the spheres is indicative of the speed of the
camera at that point.)

  If the camera moves too fast, as in this video, just render more frames.

--
                                                          - Warp