POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Ambient Occlusion : Re: Ambient Occlusion Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:05:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ambient Occlusion
From: Simon Orr
Date: 20 Dec 2009 18:34:13
Message: <4b2eb475@news.povray.org>
Just to add my 2c, I find the easiest way to deal with this is to add a sky
sphere that radiates light - map an image (ideally HDR) onto it

This then simulates realistic lighting of objects and gives you the proper
shadow effect

An example can be seen in a short animation I did here:
http://www.soware.co.uk/POVRay/player.php?id=6
or the original by Paul Debevec here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHBgkeXH9lU
and a very good example similar to PD's but with better shadows here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAYBG6L8HY

Hope this helped

Regards,

Simon