POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Dec 2009 11:42:05
Message: <4b2e53dd$1@news.povray.org>
>> It contains all the right stuff. It's just... not entertaining. Until I
>> watched this review, I couldn't really put my finger on why. Now I have
>> a clearer idea.
>
>   The review wasn't about The Matrix.

No. But it makes some interesting points about what makes a film work,
and what makes a film not work.

>> I didn't expect to enjoy the original film, but I did. The trailer for
>> the sequal looked great...
>
>   How hard is it to write "sequel"?

How hard is it for you to get off my case? I *know* I can't spell for
toffee. I didn't even learn to read until I was about 13 or something.
I've always been rubbish at it. It's not like I can magically fix it in
20 minutes.

>> Right. Because it's not a requirement for a good film to actually make
>> sense.
>
>> Oh, wait... yes it is.
>
>   You consider yourself the absolute measurement of whether a movie makes
> sense or not?

Last time I checked, I'm not the only person claiming the film wasn't
very good. (Although admittedly that's not an infalible measurement
either...)

>> I repeat: "apparently some people really liked it". It seems readily
>> apparent to me that this is true, even if I have no idea *why* it's true.
>
>   Maybe you simply refuse to understand why, again because of some odd
> principle of yours.
>
>   How hard is it to say "I didn't like it, but I understand why someone
> else would" (and really mean it)?

I just meant that I'm not sure what it is about it that made other
people enjoy it. Clearly there was something, but I don't know what that
something was.

>> I don't mind films that require some thinking.
>
>   You are making a good job at giving the opposite impression.

Right, because (say) Back To The Future doesn't require any thinking at
all. That must be why I like it so much. :-)

>   But you surely understand why some people like for there to be gaps to
> be filled by deduction?

There's deduction, and there's guessing.

But sure, different people like different things. I was just saying what
*I* happen to like.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/