POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Warp
Date: 20 Dec 2009 10:05:10
Message: <4b2e3d26@news.povray.org>
> >   You are doing a good job at making it sound like you have decided that
> > since you didn't like it the first time, you will never give it a second
> > chance and try to understand it better so that, maybe, you could perhaps
> > start liking it in retrospect. In other words, "I hate it, and I will
> > always hate it no matter what you say; I refuse to like it".

> You realise I've watched it several times, right?

> It contains all the right stuff. It's just... not entertaining. Until I
> watched this review, I couldn't really put my finger on why. Now I have
> a clearer idea.

  The review wasn't about The Matrix.

> I didn't expect to enjoy the original film, but I did. The trailer for
> the sequal looked great...

  How hard is it to write "sequel"?

> >   If you decide that you will never like it, that's fine. It's your
> > prerogative. However, you shouldn't bash the film if you don't understand
> > it.

> Right. Because it's not a requirement for a good film to actually make
> sense.

> Oh, wait... yes it is.

  You consider yourself the absolute measurement of whether a movie makes
sense or not?

  If the movie makes sense to me, that's completely inconsequential? The
movie is still not good because it doesn't make sense to *you*?

> >> I'm told there are people who actually *liked* the X-Files, for example.
> >> I cannot begin to imagine why, but apparently some people really liked
> >> it. Good for them...
> >
> >   Do you really think they would have got money for 9 whole seasons if
> > people didn't like it?

> I repeat: "apparently some people really liked it". It seems readily
> apparent to me that this is true, even if I have no idea *why* it's true.

  Maybe you simply refuse to understand why, again because of some odd
principle of yours.

  How hard is it to say "I didn't like it, but I understand why someone
else would" (and really mean it)?

> >   I don't find it cryptic at all. It's quite simple and straightforward.

> Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion.

  Is that a statement that you outright refuse to even try to make sense
of the plot? That someone else understanding it is just "an opinion"?

> >   I enjoy movies which need some thinking.

> I don't mind films that require some thinking.

  You are making a good job at giving the opposite impression.

> (Certain film producers
> seem to believe any film which isn't 100% blindingly obvious won't be
> popular - presumably because the audience are idiots.) What I detest is
> films which deliberately don't tell you what happened. Some people
> apparently think it's cool to make a movie where at the end the audience
> is like "So... was it all a dream after all? Or did he really save the
> world?" I really hate that.

  But you surely understand why some people like for there to be gaps to
be filled by deduction?

--
                                                          - Warp