POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Dec 2009 09:44:24
Message: <4b2e3848$1@news.povray.org>
>   You are doing a good job at making it sound like you have decided that
> since you didn't like it the first time, you will never give it a second
> chance and try to understand it better so that, maybe, you could perhaps
> start liking it in retrospect. In other words, "I hate it, and I will
> always hate it no matter what you say; I refuse to like it".

You realise I've watched it several times, right?

It contains all the right stuff. It's just... not entertaining. Until I
watched this review, I couldn't really put my finger on why. Now I have
a clearer idea.

I didn't expect to enjoy the original film, but I did. The trailer for
the sequal looked great... but the actual film wasn't very good. Having
been disappointed with that, I was reluctant to bother watching the
final film. It turns out that it's slightly better - although still
nowhere near as good as the first.

>   If you decide that you will never like it, that's fine. It's your
> prerogative. However, you shouldn't bash the film if you don't understand
> it.

Right. Because it's not a requirement for a good film to actually make
sense.

Oh, wait... yes it is.

>> I'm told there are people who actually *liked* the X-Files, for example.
>> I cannot begin to imagine why, but apparently some people really liked
>> it. Good for them...
>
>   Do you really think they would have got money for 9 whole seasons if
> people didn't like it?

I repeat: "apparently some people really liked it". It seems readily
apparent to me that this is true, even if I have no idea *why* it's true.

>   I don't find it cryptic at all. It's quite simple and straightforward.

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion.

>   I enjoy movies which need some thinking.

I don't mind films that require some thinking. (Certain film producers
seem to believe any film which isn't 100% blindingly obvious won't be
popular - presumably because the audience are idiots.) What I detest is
films which deliberately don't tell you what happened. Some people
apparently think it's cool to make a movie where at the end the audience
is like "So... was it all a dream after all? Or did he really save the
world?" I really hate that.

I also hate films where everybody dies at the end. Or almost everybody.
I really enjoyed the Final Fantasy film, but the ending was
disappointing. (My collegue remarked that this is apparently *the exact
plot* of the computer games - which I've never really played.)

Thinking about it, the subsequent Matrix films tick both boxes: At the
end of the final film, almost everybody I was actually interested in is
dead, and with the sun rising on a new day in an apparently unchanged
Matrix, we're left wondering what the hell has happened. Is this just
the start of another cycle? Or has the world actually changed?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/