POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Dec 2009 20:24:55
Message: <4b2d7ce7@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:55:23 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> Nowadays when you
>> can control absolutely everything and have whatever you might want show
>> up on screen, no matter how crazy, it easily derails the directing. The
>> director might get so enthralled by his own omnipotence to get whatever
>> he wants on screen that he forgets that he should actually be filming a
>> story, not a computer graphics demonstration.
>
> Well said; one of the things I really like is when the effects are
> invisible.  We just watched the first and second Bourne movies again, and
> I was quite amazed watching the credits to see ILM credited with VFX
> work.  I couldn't name a scene with ILM VFX in it, that's how well done
> the effects were - they didn't jump out and scream "I'm CGI!  I'm a
> special effect, look at me!" - they helped tell a very well-written story.
>
> Jim

This is pretty close to what someone recently wrote as a review of
Avatar. After a brief case of, "Wow, there are vines hanging all over
the place.", you forget that you are looking at something CG at all. The
problem, as he pointed out, is that the next guy to use what made it
amazing will be used to make something that **won't** spend time on the
story, and *will* scream CG because of it. It will be all about, "See,
we can do this level of CG too!", and not about the story.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {