POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: Slime
Date: 19 Dec 2009 19:30:18
Message: <4b2d701a$1@news.povray.org>
>> I thought all games used per-pixel lighting now?
>
> Apparently HL2 doesn't. (They've upgraded the Source engine several times
> since then, so maybe it does now. I doubt it.)

HL2 has normal mapping, so it definitely does use per-pixel lighting, at
least on some surfaces. It samples from three lightmaps representing the
light coming from three directions, and then does dot products with the
normal to determine the total light on a pixel.

Characters do something similar but without light maps.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]