POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: nemesis
Date: 19 Dec 2009 16:49:03
Message: <4b2d4a4f$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:35:52 -0200, nemesis wrote:
>> http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/vfx/rl_img/vfx_image_10.jpg
>
> That was part of it for me, but even in the example you've linked to, the
> one on the right has an unnatural crease on his forehead.  It's not a
> *lousy* model, but it's not outstanding to my eye, either.  Not that I
> could make one that was as good, mind - but the one on the right says
> "CG" to me in a way the one on the left doesn't.  The forehead is too
> long as well, and the jawline isn't right.

Exactly, which is a good thing that they are never on close up.  Good
enough on a distance.  And despite visible flaws, still miles of
distance from what one may find in any modern game, which don't have
subsurface scattering or real hair.  That's why I call Andrew's
assumptions BS.

> The other part for me (other than the cloth effects, which you note) was
> that the superhuman movements didn't have a natural enough feel to them.
> Yes, they're supernatural, but my mind picked up on certain aspects of
> the movements that didn't seem right (it's hard to describe exactly) and
> my brain registered it as "not real".

Yes, but I can't imagine either how a super being with super strength
would look like by, say, walking and jumping on top of lots of people
underneath.  Perhaps it'd look downright... unnatural and cartoonish.