POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Warp
Date: 19 Dec 2009 15:04:50
Message: <4b2d31e2@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] nospam-gmailcom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >   Anyone claiming that all the velociraptors seen in JP3 were CGI is
> > being a smartass and can be easily proven wrong.

> No one will claim that as animatronics are firmly entrenched in
> Hollywood.  JP 1 also used them a lot, particularly visible in the lying
> triceratops, feeding the brachiosaurus and close-ups on velociraptor
> heads and feet...

  My point was that in JP3 you really *can't* tell them apart. In JP1 you
could tell them apart if you watched carefully, but in JP3 the animatronics
are so well done that they look outright hyperrealistic and indistinguishable
from the CGI models. There are many scenes in which you could *swear* that
CGI was used but, wasn't.

  Personally I appreciate movies which go the extra mile of using "real"
special effects rather than computer-generated ones. That's one of the major
reasons why I liked the Planet of Apes remake so much: There was practically
no CGI used there (the only CGI used was in some space scenes as well as to
create a few backgrounds). Whenever you see eg. a monkey outrunning a
galloping horse, there's zero CGI there. What you see is what the camera
saw.

--
                                                          - Warp