POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 19 Dec 2009 14:23:36
Message: <4b2d2838$1@news.povray.org>
>> How would defeating Smith alter humanity's survival?
>
> By the end of the third film that question is answered:  Neo taking on
> Smith was because Smith was out of control in the Matrix and the
> Architect couldn't control him any more.

The Matrix is just the prison where they put the humans. If Smith takes
over that prison... so what? Why would the Architect care?

> Neo wanted the war to end.  The Architect wanted Smith dealt with.  They
> both got something they wanted.

So if Neo defeats Smith they call off the attack on Zion. Now it makes
sense that Neo would want to beat Smith... Still not completely sure why
the Architect cares about Smith or the contents of the Matrix... Or how
Neo manages to beat him, actually. They're both invincible...

>> Seriously, it looks like "OMG, this film was so popular! We MUST make a
>> sequal! Hey, why not make it a trilogy?"
>
> Except that isn't how it happened; they planned to do 3 from the start,
> AFAICR.

Yeah, that's puzzling.

> It is fairly common, unfortunately - there are few sequels that come out
> better than the original.

But when it happens, it's very, very cool.

Shrek 1: Rather good.
Shrek 2: Really good.
Shrek 3: Uh... yeah, it's OK I guess, but... You couldn't do better?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/