POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 19 Dec 2009 14:20:14
Message: <4b2d276e$1@news.povray.org>
>> How would defeating Smith alter humanity's survival?
>
>   All humanity is connected to the Matrix, Smith takes over the Matrix,
> Smith hates humans. What is there to not to understand? What do you think
> would happen if Smith succeeds?

 From what I've seen, it's more like Smith hates having to stay in the
Matrix, and he really wants to leave it. So he's taking over it... why?

Sure, he certainly doesn't hold humans in high regard either. I'm sure
he wouldn't mind killing a few billion of them just for fun. But he
seemed far more motivated by wanting to escape the Matrix.

I actually have no idea what would happen if Smith took over the whole
Matrix. I mean, each duplicate Smith is... what? A random human
possessed by Smith's image? So...? Hmm.

(Now here, the first film spent quite some time explaining exactly what
the Agents are and how they work. But in the following films you just
have to sort of guess or make up what you think is happening.)

>   First you say that the Architect's speech was pointless, and then you
> complain that you don't understand what the movies were about.
>
>   Maybe there's a correlation between those to things?

Perhaps. But the first film managed to explain the world through, you
know, the *story*, the events that happen in it, without requiring a
half-hour exposition in the middle.

>   And the Warchowski brothers had the entire trilogy plotted out from the
> very beginning.

OK, that's interesting.

Didn't Lucas claim he actually had the story for all 6 films planned out
from the beginning? (Which is why the very first film is Episode IV.)
And yet, the first three are celebrated classics, and the prequals are
all almost unanimously regarded is inferior?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/