POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 19 Dec 2009 14:07:26
Message: <4b2d246e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Maybe you are simply refusing to understand the movies because of some odd
> principle? ("I have bashed this movie, I'm not going to back down now.")

Or how about "I didn't enjoy watching it"?

I mean, it's not like I *have* to like it. It's a free country, right?

I'm told there are people who actually *liked* the X-Files, for example.
I cannot begin to imagine why, but apparently some people really liked
it. Good for them...

>> So it's possible to construct an explanation which appears to make sense
>> in the context of the film. That's not the same as the film making sense.
>
>   What I wrote was not a constructed explanation. It's almost exactly what
> the Architect is saying in the second movie. Just watch that scene again
> and listen to what he is saying, keeping in mind what I wrote.

For me, what you wrote is more like those people who try to "analyse"
the lyrics of the Beatles. Like, they sing "it's raining outside" and
some beardy professor goes "ah, yes, that's actually a reference to the
Nazis". Um, WTF?

Now, what you wrote isn't quite that crazy. The Architect clearly does
talk about choice and about how the Matrix has been redesigned a few
times. But he says everything extremely cryptically (for no obvious
reason). You could interpret his actual words as implying several
possible things. (Maybe that's deliberate? Apparently some movie makers
think it's actually cool to make a film where the audience isn't
actually sure what's going on.)

>   Maybe you should give it another try rather than deciding that you didn't
> understand it, period. Outright refusing to do so and instead keep complaining
> about it is not smart.

You realise I've watched it several times, right?

Besides, it's not like it's my *duty* to understand it or like it. It's
entertainment. If I don't find it entertaining, why would I watch it
again? That doesn't seem smart.

>   That seems to be a common problem with you: Once you decide you don't like
> something, you won't back off, ever. You will refuse to even give it another
> try, even if someone tries to explain it to you.

I believe that to be an over-generalisation.

>   I don't really understand how Episode I was *boring*. Perhaps it didn't
> make too much sense, perhaps the story was shaky, perhaps it did not follow
> the steps of the first trilogy equally well (thus being a disappointment in
> that regard), but boring?

On one level, it had some quite entertaining moments. Unlike the other
guy, I actually *enjoyed* the "perfectly choreographed light saber
fights". But it wasn't particularly emotionally enguaging. I guess it
was OK the first time through, but little replay value.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/