POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Warp
Date: 19 Dec 2009 12:32:22
Message: <4b2d0e26@news.povray.org>
> I think the sequals sucked for the same reason as the Star Wars
> prequals: All the same characters are there, they're all doing the same
> sort of stuff, but there is seemingly NO REASON for their actions. I
> mean, something happens, they react to that, which causes something
> else, so then they have to do this other thing... what are we working up
> to again? I have no idea.

  Maybe you are simply refusing to understand the movies because of some odd
principle? ("I have bashed this movie, I'm not going to back down now.")

  And it's sequel, not "sequal".

> So it's possible to construct an explanation which appears to make sense
> in the context of the film. That's not the same as the film making sense.

  What I wrote was not a constructed explanation. It's almost exactly what
the Architect is saying in the second movie. Just watch that scene again
and listen to what he is saying, keeping in mind what I wrote.

> The sequals, however, consist mostly of mental fights, crazy special
> effects, and cryptic dialog unrelated to the rest of the film. It just
> isn't entertaining. Some of the fights are even more impressive than the
> original, but since it's not clear what there is to gain or lose... I
> find myself feeling "OK, this is an epic battle, but... I just don't
> actually CARE any more. Even though I feel like I should care."

  Maybe you should give it another try rather than deciding that you didn't
understand it, period. Outright refusing to do so and instead keep complaining
about it is not smart.

> In the first movie, Neo destroys an agent - something which is seemingly
> unprecedented and has never happened before. But right at the start of
> the 2nd movie... oh, no, he's not destroyed, in fact it's basically like
> that battle never happened. Oh well, never mind.

  The reason is explained in the second and third movies. It's exactly
their point.

> Anyway, it's a free country, so you can like the Matrix sequals if you
> want. Personally, I don't. ;-)

  That seems to be a common problem with you: Once you decide you don't like
something, you won't back off, ever. You will refuse to even give it another
try, even if someone tries to explain it to you.

> Also... watching this review has taught me more about why some films
> work better than others than I thought possible. Suddenly I can
> comprehend *why* Episode I was boring, even though it seemed to contain
> all the right stuff.

  I don't really understand how Episode I was *boring*. Perhaps it didn't
make too much sense, perhaps the story was shaky, perhaps it did not follow
the steps of the first trilogy equally well (thus being a disappointment in
that regard), but boring?

  If Episode I was *boring* to you, I wonder what exactly does it take to
keep you entertained. I assume that you watch films like Die Hard when you
have problems sleeping.

--
                                                          - Warp