POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Blender : Re: Project Blender Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Blender
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Dec 2009 16:41:09
Message: <4b2bf6f5$1@news.povray.org>
>> I believed I tried it also, and it was similarly non-intuitive to
>> operate.
>
> You know, I thought they were all unintuitive until I played with it a
> bit and figured out the operations.

Other modellers I've used seemed reasonably intuitive (once you grok the
basic way the abstractions work). It's only really Wings and [now]
Blender that seem baffling.

Then again, I don't think The GIMP is especially user-friendly...

> Really, go thru (say) the
> gingerbread man tutorial, or the "create a blue alien guy" tutorial, and
> then suddenly it seems to make sense.

I made a gingerbread man. (Not that it looked remotely like the example
picture, mind you.) It's nice that you can put 6 cubes together and get
something that vaguely approximates a recognisible object, but it still
doesn't really tell me how you're supposed to construct the ludicrously
complex shapes everybody claims you're supposed to be able to put
together in 30 seconds flat...

>> (But I don't recall it having any documentation, whereas Blender
>> clearly does.)
>
> It has an entire 130-page textbook it comes with.

Really? I had no idea. When I installed it, it didn't seem to provide
any documentation. (Unlike Blender, which has a big "help" button on it
even if you're too daft to notice the prominent links right there on the
website you just downloaded it from...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/