POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One step closer to Permutation City : Re: AWS[S3] Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWS[S3]
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Dec 2009 16:32:02
Message: <4b2bf4d2$1@news.povray.org>
>> OK. The documentation wasn't very clear about this...
>
> Uh, OK.  It seemed really clear to me. :-)  They even give you options
> for giving people time-limited access to otherwise unreadable objects.

Oh, I haven't read through all the low-level documentation, only the
summary pages.

>>> You use a library, depending on what language you're using, or you
>>> implement your own.
>>
>> I'd be in the latter group.
>
> There ya go, then. Read the specs. It's pretty straightforward.

...for somebody who doesn't yet understand what SOAP or REST are?

>> ...right. So I actually need real crypto libraries to be able to use
>> it? Oh well, that's the end of that then.
>
> I think you need an MD5 implementation, is all.

I actually wrote an MD5 implementation in Haskell. (The hardest part is
the padding. You must get this exactly right, and MD5 allows the
"message" to be an arbitrary number of bits - not necessarily a multiple
of eight, not necessarily non-zero!) I eventually got it to produce the
correct answer in every single case I tested.

You can see where this is going, can't you? Yes, I admit it: It's way,
way too slow to be remotely useful. Files that md5sum.exe can process in
a split second take several minutes. I haven't figured out why yet.

(Alternatively, there's a binding to the C implementation - which
presumably won't work on Windows. Probably not hard to pipe the data to
md5sum.exe tho... Hell, that is one of the *design goals* of the tool!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/