POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One step closer to Permutation City : Re: AWS[S3] Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWS[S3]
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Dec 2009 14:14:26
Message: <4b2bd492$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> So, since you seem to know a bit about AWS, here's a few questions...
>
> 1. Can you access stuff stored in S3 using normal HTTP requests?

Yes.

> 2. How do you upload stuff to S3? I mean, presumably there's a shiny
> webpage for uploading individual files, but what if I wanted to upload
> programmatically?

You use a library, depending on what language you're using, or you implement
your own, which I did for Tcl. I use the S3 extension to firefox for
interactive stuff.

> 3. How does AWS authentication work?

Using HTTP with REST, you sign certain HTTP headers and the content checksum
(or something like that) with the secret key that Amazon gives you when you
sign up for an account. Which makes it almost REST.

Using HTTP with SOAP, you use the standard SOAP certificate stuff that's
built into decent SOAP libraries.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)