POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay limits (PovTree question) : Mesh vs. SDL Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh vs. SDL
From: TC
Date: 18 Dec 2009 13:07:22
Message: <4b2bc4da$1@news.povray.org>
>  If the tree is a #declared triangle mesh, then instantiating (with the
> 'object' keyword) is going to save memory because the triangle data will
> be stored in memory only once. For other objects this is not the case.

Thank you, Warp. This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

In terms of processing speed, are there advantages to SDL over meshes?

I once built a wall out of bevelled stones (take one box for the stone, use
difference of 8 rotated boxes to bevel the edges). Then I wrote a macro to
build a wall out of these boxes, by putting one above the other like a mason
would do. Would it have been smarter to use a mesh for the bevelled stones?