POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: scott
Date: 18 Dec 2009 06:07:45
Message: <4b2b6281$1@news.povray.org>
> I think if you sat down and spent enough time on it, it's quite plausible
> you could eventually model something like this. The pipework would be
> somewhat tricky, and it's not fantastically easy to model an intricate
> object with a single photo from just one angle, but I think it should be
> doable.
>
> Of course, almost *anything* is possible given a mathematically unbounded
> amount of time, so maybe the interesting question is how long it would
> take with a simple mesh modeller?

Not as long as with SDL :-)

Why don't you post a link to a photo of something that you think you could
easily create a realistic model of in SDL?

> Interesting thought: This is a modern car engine. It was almost certainly
> designed using a computer. I wander which modelling technology *they* used
> to design it in the first place?

A high-end 3D CAD system, probably Catia as BMW use that for most other
things in the car.

Nice video of it being used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80-JcXO5Mi8