POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Blender : Re: Project Blender Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Blender
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Dec 2009 04:38:45
Message: <4b2b4da5$1@news.povray.org>
>> There's nothing *wrong* with keyboard shortcuts, but it does make the
>> learning curve rather steep.
>
> Yes. Faster to use once you put them in your brain, but harder to learn.
> Unless they're written on the menus, so you learn the ones taht are
> useful to you in particular.

Usual practice is to design a UI which is intuitive and easy to figure
out using the mouse, and to label the keyboard shortcuts on the UI. That
way, if you constantly find yourself clicking the same button or menu
item, you can learn the shortcut.

Blender, on the other hand, seems to take the view that memorising pages
of key combinations is the default way to operate the program, and a few
items also have a UI in case you want it.

(People have actually done studies on UI design, you know...)

>> Currently my main problem is with figuring out the general principles
>> the UI works under.
>
> That too.

Well, it could be worse.

I could be using Linux, where seemingly *every* individual program
operates in a completely different way. :-}