POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: scott
Date: 18 Dec 2009 03:25:39
Message: <4b2b3c83$1@news.povray.org>
> Yeah. In that case you'd have to use a sphere-sweep [which is inexplicably
> slow for no defined reason].

And how many points would you put in the spline that your sphere-sweep was
following?

>> But how to do the rounded edge then?  Matching up a round with the
>> vertical sides (actually they're slightly off-vertical) of the button
>> with the curved top surface doesn't sound very easy to me.
>
> It does to me, but hey...

Ermmm, ok, here's my button then, show me how to add a round and/or bevel to
the top (+y) of it:

difference
{
 cone{ <0,0,0> 8 <0,5,0> 7}
 sphere{ <0,50,0> 46 }
 scale <1,1,0.75>
}

> Yes, because crude approximations

Who said anything about crude?  You said a billion triangles, on a 1920x1200
screen that makes each triangle about 1/500th of a pixel.

> to cylindrical columns look so much more photo-realistic than actually
> cylindrical columns. Oh, wait...

I've never seen a mathematically perfect cylindrical column IRL before.

> Ah, well, presumably if you're doing CAD rather than just pretty pictures,
> you have *real* modelling tools. ;-)

True, but even when making pretty pictures (eg for films or posters etc) you
don't want broken reflections like that - they look ugly.