POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another random, non geometric problem : Re: Another random, non geometric problem Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another random, non geometric problem
From: Shay
Date: 17 Dec 2009 17:34:53
Message: <4b2ab20d$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Shay wrote:
>

>> There are actually four cups. Two cups in the $300 total universe and
>> two cups in the $150 total universe. No amount of switching will
>> change the universe in which you exist and that universe was selected
>> before you chose a $100 cup.
>>
>>  -Shay
>
> Yes! You've got it. :-)

Here's how the math really works out, as well as a better explanation of
where Andrew got it wrong.

Andrew counted the built-in profit of the system as "winnings" he showed
for switching.

Four cups, right?
{$50 | $100} ------ {$100 - $200}

I'll change the scenario just a bit to make it clearer. Contestant is
allowed to select one set of two cups ($50-$100 and $100-200) and to
then select one of the two cups from his selected set. His expectation
from this game? ($50 + $100 + $100 + $200) / 4 = $112.50. That's what
he's being *given* for playing the game, so that amount must be
subtracted from his winnings to reveal the profits of his strategy.

So, subtract $112.50 from each of the four cups to get
{-$62.50 | -$12.50} ------ {-$12.50 | $87.5}

Now, back to Andrew's premise. The contestant turns over a cup to find
-$12.50. Should he switch?
Possibility 1: He's in the low set[1] - expectation = -$37.50
Possibility 2: He's in the high set - expectation = +$37.50
A 50% probability either way.

That's the honest math.

  -Shay

[1] Actually, not *the* but *a* high set. There are two ways that could
go, but it doesn't change the problem.