POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One step closer to Permutation City : Re: One step closer to Permutation City Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One step closer to Permutation City
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Dec 2009 11:49:59
Message: <4b2a6137$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> That sounds like a sensible workflow. And I guess if the AMI gets
> started under the customer's account (which your tool presumably has to
> somehow obtain)

It asks.

> they get billed, and you can still take your cut.

Yes.

> ...until somebody else realises that all your AMI actually does is untar
> the files and launch POV-Ray, and they build their own AMI that does the
> exact same thing. Now they can do exactly what they did before, but
> without paying a cut to you. ;-)

Except my tool does more than that. It pushes a bunch of individual jobs up
to S3, launches multiple AMIs which coordinate to copy down the sources, run
the jobs, copy the results back up, and starts on new jobs as each machine
comes free, shutting each down when no work remains. And they don't all have
to be POV-Ray.

But yeah, if all you're providing is a machine preconfigured with a free
program, it's going to be rough to get someone else to pay you to run it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)