POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Blender : Re: Project Blender Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Blender
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Dec 2009 11:47:31
Message: <4b2a60a3$1@news.povray.org>
>> All the commands are hidden away and can only be accessed by pressing
>> the secret keyboard shortcuts.
>
> This is not quite true. What *is* true is that you have a whole bunch of
> buttons that reveal menus full of other commands, and getting to an
> operation without keyboard shortcuts takes forever.

Well no, I mean for example: If you press [space], a whole bunch of
stuff appears. I can't immediately see any other way of getting at any
of those commands.

Now, if you didn't know that pressing [space] makes that stuff appear
(and why would you?), you're going to have a hard time finding any of
those commands. And it seems every page I read, I discover more secret
key combinations that pop up new menus...

There's nothing *wrong* with keyboard shortcuts, but it does make the
learning curve rather steep.

> But yeah, you have to use it, and when you stop it goes away again,
> because there's no mnemonic way of using it.  (Unlike wordstar, whose
> keyboard commands I still remember 30 years after I stopped using it.)

Currently my main problem is with figuring out the general principles
the UI works under. Stuff like... clicking a menu item makes the menu
open, but clicking it again doesn't make the menu shut. Wuh?