POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Dec 2009 10:26:58
Message: <4b2a4dc2$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Maybe your phone is different, but my phone looks impossibly hard to
>> do in POV SDL with all those complex curved surfaces and rounded edges.
>
> Mabye I just suck at POV?  I just made this in Blender (sorry for JPEG
> compression, shouldn't have chosen red!), it has *9* vertices, followed
> by two mirror modifiers and the subdivision modifier.  Total time about
> 10 mins, including adding some lights and materials.  No way I could
> achieve the same in SDL, even in 1 hour.

That is actually quite impressive. Normally you'd have to model
something like this with blobs. I have no idea how it's possible to
construct this in a single human lifetime using only straight edges.

I just spent about an hour trying to make a torus in Blender. (Obviously
you can just click "insert torus", but I wanted to see if it's
physically possible to make one manually.) Suffice it to say most of
that time was just spent trying to force Blender to do what I actually
want it to do.

I guess the thing about Blender is that it forces you to think in terms
of surfaces, while POV-Ray allows you to think in terms of *volumes*,
which is far more natural.