POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: scott
Date: 17 Dec 2009 09:27:47
Message: <4b2a3fe3$1@news.povray.org>
> Looking around the room I'm sitting in now, most if not all items in it
> would be far, far easier to create with POV-Ray.

I beg to differ.

> Man-made objects tend to be particularly easy to construct using CSG. My
> telephone, for example. Throw a few cubes and prisms together with a
> little CSG and it's done.

But it's going to look like 80's CGI because you can't do rounded edges on
anything more complex than a straight edge without *a lot* of math and
patience.  Ditto for curved surfaces.  And you're stuck with perfectly
cylindrical rounds, IRL they are not usually used on edges because of the
discontinuity in curvature (it doesn't give smooth reflections).

Maybe your phone is different, but my phone looks impossibly hard to do in
POV SDL with all those complex curved surfaces and rounded edges.

> fairly simple). A brick with a rough surface is almost a 1-liner in
> POV-Ray, but would be ludicrously hard to model with billions of
> triangles. (You'd have to fake it with devious texture mapping.)

Or apply a noise texture to the displace modifier if your scene calls for a
brick with real geometry.

BTW what's your 1-line for a rough brick in POV?  How long did it take you
to write?