POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One step closer to Permutation City : Re: One step closer to Permutation City Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One step closer to Permutation City
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 17 Dec 2009 08:52:46
Message: <4b2a37ae@news.povray.org>
On 12/16/2009 3:49 AM, Invisible wrote:

> I'm thinking more about the following:
>
> 1. No sane person is going to pay money to run POV-Ray on Amazon when
> they could just run it locally on their own PC for free.

Who knows. Depending on the price, paying for some seriously parallel
CPU time to get an animation done quickly may be worth it. Especially if
that animation were extremely complex with groundbreaking (at least in
the POV world) graphics, showing off what their favorite renderer would
do. I mean ... how could would it be to have a feature film done
entirely in POV? (Yes, It would be painful and arduous to do, but some
people like doing things "Just because")

> 2. I have a vague recollection that attempting to do this contravines
> the POV-Ray license.

Sure, you could charge someone to run a renderfarm using POV-Ray as a
renderer. You're charging for the compute time, not the program.

--
~Mike