POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Dec 2009 07:06:56
Message: <4b2a1ee0$1@news.povray.org>
>> Sure. I was just wondering, since Blender doesn't do anything a GPU
>> can't do, whether there's some way to use GPU acceleration, that's all.
>
> You mean the Blender internal renderer?

Indeed.

> Umm, that's a fully-fledged
> raytracer with multiple reflections/refractions, ray traced shadows,
> ambient occlusion, all that stuff etc, as you will know from the POV/GPU
> discussion these things are quite hard to do on a GPU, if possible at all.

I thought ambient occlusion (as opposed to other GI algorithms) was
specifically suited to GPU implementation?

Anyway, I just thought if you weren't using ray tracing, it ought to be
possibly to run on the GPU. I guess not...

(What's the point of a ray tracer in a product that only renders triangles?)