POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: scott
Date: 17 Dec 2009 04:45:52
Message: <4b29fdd0$1@news.povray.org>
> Most of the modellers I've seen *only* work in this way. (Blender
> apparently allows you to rejigger the display any way you see fit.)
>
> It's still surprisingly easy to get "lost" in 3D space, or to draw stuff
> and then discover you didn't draw what you thought you drew.

That's why you should keep an eye on the perspective view, and keep rotating
it around to ensure it looks ok.  As you said, it is very easy to make
something look cool from one viewpoint, but then when you rotate it around
it's nothing like you wanted.

If you're designing smooth surfaces it can really help if you turn on some
specular lighting or even an environment map reflection (if your modeller
allows it), this allows you to see how "smooth" the surface is better than
just with diffuse lighting.

Personally I prefer just one perspective view and to keep looking from
different angles while I'm designing, but maybe I'm just used to that
because it's how my 3D CAD software works (which I use 100x more frequently
than Blender).