POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One step closer to Permutation City : Re: One step closer to Permutation City Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One step closer to Permutation City
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Dec 2009 04:27:09
Message: <4b29f96d$1@news.povray.org>
>> As far as I can tell, DevPay lets you earn money for anything that's
>> just an AMI. If it isn't an AMI, but some application that *runs* an
>> instance as part of its operation, DevPay isn't applicable.
>
> You'd have to launch the instance with your AMI, yes. You get paid for
> people running your AMI.

Granted I haven't read the detailed documentation. But it looks like you
can put together an AMI and list it on Amazon's website with "hey, you
can run this thing for $2/hour". But that would mean that to use your
AMI, somebody would have to select it, start it up, copy their files
onto it, launch POV-Ray and tell it to render.

If you wanted to be able to submit renders from your PC and have them
automatically run, you'd have to have an instance constantly running,
waiting for work to be submitted. Which means that when there's no work
in the queue, you're paying money for an idle instance to run. And even
when there is work, DevPay doesn't appear to offer a way to charge money
for submitting a job to a queue, only for physically starting an AMI.

Assuming I've understood the documentation correctly anyway...