POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Dec 2009 04:20:33
Message: <4b29f7e1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Also... Blender seems to incorrectly assume that Z is "up" and Y is
>> "back". (It should obviously be the other way around.)
>
> It is not incorrect; it is right-handed.

OK, I rephrase: confusing.

>> Interesting how the amount of scaling is apparently completely
>> unrelated to the mouse movement... (Seems to scale the cube by about
>> 20% of the distance the mouse is moved.)
>
> It depends on how far the mouse pointer is from the selection.

Oh, I see. So, what, the mouse position at the instant you type "s"?

>> OK, this one took me a while to figure out. You'd think you extrude it
>> by dragging the face that you want to extrude... but no. You just
>> click and Blender places faces at random for you.
>
> Select faces/edges/vertices, press E to extrude. The newly formed
> faces/edges/vertices are automatically selected, and by default you are
> put in Grab mode; move the mouse to move them or right-click to keep
> them where they are. You can also switch from Grab mode to Scale or
> Rotate by pressing S or R.

This doesn't appear to match the behaviour I observed. Click somewhere
and new faces appear. Move the mouse and nothing happens. Click again
and more faces appear.

The faces aren't random though; it appears that if you click exactly
half way up the screen, the new geometry is parallel to the existing
cube. Click slightly below the midline and the geometry is connected at
an angle. Click lower still and it self-intersects in a way I don't
quite comprehend yet.

>> F9 doesn't appear to do anything.
>
> F9 opens the Editing panel in the Buttons window. If the Editing panel
> was already active, nothing will happen.

Ah, I see.