POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
9 Oct 2024 04:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Dec 2009 15:41:39
Message: <4b294603$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> You need to stop conflating "they don't seem to 'do' very much" with "I
> don't know how to make them do complex operations".  These two statements
> are not equivalent.

Well, I don't know. Something like DPaint, you open it up and there's a
trillion options staring right at you. And when you start to dig into
it, there's even more stuff below the surface. You could spend years
just reading the user manual. (It comes with a paper user manual, by the
way.)

Open the GIMP, and there doesn't seem to be much there. There's, like, a
million ways to select an image region, but once you selected it, all
you can do to it is clone it or apply a filter to it. Big deal.

Now surely there's more to it than that (who the hell would bother
developing such a big piece of software just to apply an emboss
effect?), but it's not very apparent from the UI. It appears you have to
somehow combine the features in highly non-obvious ways to make it do
anything interesting.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/