POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One step closer to Permutation City : Re: One step closer to Permutation City Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One step closer to Permutation City
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Dec 2009 12:30:43
Message: <4b291943$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> ...unless you run a Windows instance. ;-)

Then you use the Windows equivalent, which is a service.

> 1. No sane person is going to pay money to run POV-Ray on Amazon when
> they could just run it locally on their own PC for free.

Well, no, you have to do more than have just POV-Ray there. For example, you
could have a mechanism where the person sets up the configuration on their
own computer, clicks a button that launches 10 Amazon instances and
distributes frames to them and collects the results, then composes them into
a video when you're done, after shutting down the instances that were rendering.

> What you'd *actually* want is a button in POV-Ray that says "submit to
> server" and it grabs all the files, INI files, etc., zips them into a
> big bundle, uploads it, adds it to the server render queue, and emails
> you the result when it's finished or something.

Right.

> As far as I can tell, it's not possible to do this. Or at least, it's
> not possible to use DevPay to do this. You'd have to have an instance
> running constantly, and you'd have to pay for it whether there's work to
> do or not.

I don't understand why you'd say that. It works OK for me. I just never got
around to doing the button that launches the instance, altho having it read
the configuration and go from there works fine.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)